Hi All, this is Beyan from Iraq! I would love to hear your opinions on this question, be fully honest and free. x
What makes sexuality a more complicated and difficult subject in the middle east? is it religion, tradition & culture or something else?
Oh boy!!! Where would one start?
The answer to your question is a disaster and I would probably be banned from the site if I spoke the truth. But here are some points to contemplate
- knowledge is lacking and going to university is not knowledge
- resistance towards questioning anything and everything that was handed down by ignorant ancestors
- wrongful practices of of misunderstood religious teachings that have no place in today’s world. Religion being used to brainwash people
- generalizations of what is wrong and what is right and allowing people to act as guardians of moral standards
- people not understanding that what others do is none of my business.
- inability to comprehend the meaning of “live and let live”
- crazy and absurd rituals and societal habits that are derived from Bedouin times that we are to afraid to question
- Societies refusing to admit that they way is wrong and requires fixing. Easier to deny the problem and hope it just fixes itself.
- hallucinations of religious Neanderthals that we take for fact
- the biggest issue is the lack of strict and binding human rights. That’s why our societies are brutal and violent
These are just a few off the top of my head.